Monday, June 18, 2007

THE METROPOLITAN LIFE INSURANCE TOWER



The Metropolitan Life Insurance Tower is a unique building. It is located on Madison avenue between 23 and 24th streets. It was built in 1909. Napoleon LeBrun and Sons are the architects of the building. 700 feet and 213 meters complete the 50 stories of the building. It was the tallest building during 1909 all the way through 1913. I found out that the buildings design is inspired by the Campanile in Venice Italy in 1907. The Texture f the building is Tuckahoe marble but during the renovation in the 1960's limestone was used to recover its appearence. I was amazed when i first saw the building to think it has been the tall building amazed me because there are buildings way taller then 50 floors. I was atracted to the clock and the windows because there simple. The lighting really has a great effect on the buildings apperence.

No comments: